Vottunarstofan Tún (or Tún) provides third-party independent verification of environmental criteria, sustainability and chain of custody in five main areas:
- Organic agriculture and processing as defined in Icelandic regulations 477/2017 and 481/2017, based on European Union (EU) regulations no 834/2007, 889/2008 and 1235/2008. See also section on National and International Recognition.
- Processing of organic ingredients as defined in standards set by Tún for production outside the remits of the EU organic regulations, such as food catering and cosmetics, see Tún´s guidebook and standards.
- Certified natural products, including production of inputs permitted in organic farming and processing, as defined in standards set by Tún, such as production of calcified seaweed, salt, food supplements of marine origin, eiderdown, fishmeal and fishoil, see Tún´s guidebook and standards.
- Sustainable fisheries as defined by standards set by the Marine Stewardship Council (MSC).
- Chain of Custody of fish from sustainable fisheries as defined by standards set by the Marine Stewardship Council (MSC).
- Vakinn, quality and environmental certification for the tourism industry against standards set by the Icelandic Tourist Board (see www.vakinn.is).
- Blue Flag, one of the world´s most recognized volunatry eco-labels awarded to beaches, marinas and sustainable boating tourism operators (see www.blueflag.global).
- Green Key, the leading standard for excellence in the field of environmental responsibility and sustainable operation within the tourism industry, see also www.greenkey.global